Monday, December 10, 2012

SCIENTOLOGY PROMISES . . . . nothing


Most people, when they walk into a "church" of Scientology, are trying to handle a specific problem in their life, whether the know it or not.  Scientology's registrars (salespeople) are very good at finding you ruin (problem), and convincing you that your problem can be handled with the application of Scientology "technology".  There are many people, who, having been in Scientology for quite some time, will sit down in front of the registrar and say something like, "we you know I have gone up to level so-and-so and I haven't handles such-and such yet.  What gives?"  And invariably the registrar or sometimes the registrar and the case supervisor together will assure you that this is something that will be handles on the next level.  If fact, this is part of the scam.

When a person signs up to do services (courses or a series of auditing) at the church of Scientology, they have to sign a contract called "RELIGIOUS SERVICES ENROLLMENT APPLICATION, AGREEMENT AND GENERAL RELEASE".  In it, you sign that you understand that:

"Neither the Church nor any other Scientology church or organization which espouses. presents. propagates or practices the Scientology religion makes any claim:
I. that the nature or purpose of Scientology. or of Dianetics. or of the writings and recorded spoken words of L.R.H. is contrary to what is stated in this Contract:
II. that the application of any Scientology or Dianetics technology or practice will have any particular effect on me or any other person; or
III. that any particular result may be forthcoming from my participation in any Scientology Religious Service. I specifically acknowledge that I have read and that I understand Scientology Policy Directive 13 March 1996. Statements by Staff Members. which states clearly that if any individual staff member of any  Scientology church or organization makes any claims about the results which may be forthcoming from my participation in any Scientology Religious Service. any such claims are the personal opinions and beliefs of that staff member only. and are not claims made by the Church or any other Scientology church or organization."

No matter what anyone told you, Scientology makes no promise that what you have gone there to handle will be handled.  I have known several people who had gone in to specifically handle some kind of physical ailment and were told that it would definitely be handled at some point on the "Bridge".  By the contract, this is also false:

"Scientology Religious Services are designed to give spiritual aid. not medical treatment. However. the Scientology religion teaches that the spirit can be saved and that the spirit alone may save or heal the body. and Scientology Religious Services are intended to save the spirit. By signing this Contract. I recognize. acknowledge and agree that:
a. Scientology Religious Services are not intended and are not used for diagnosing ailments of the body or for engaging in the teaching or practice of any medical arts or sciences.
b. It is exclusively my responsibility to see to my physical and medical well-being, and under no circumstance does the Church or any other Scientology church or organization which espouses. presents, propagates or practices the Scientology religion have any responsibility whatsoever in that regard.
c. I have not come to the Church. nor do I seek to participate in Scientology Religious Services. solely to be cured of any physical illness, ailment or condition.
d. While the registrar can assist me in arranging for a competent medical examination and appropriate
treatment by a qualified medical practitioner before I participate in any Scientology Religious Services. it is solely my responsibility to take whatever steps are necessary to demonstrate that I have no diagnosable or medically treatable illnesses. ailments. or conditions that are not under competent medical care before I begin participating in any Scientology Religious Service. Thereafter, any physical illness. ailment or condition I may have that has been treated medically may then be addressed spiritually by the application of the tenets of the Scientology religion. subject to the terms of this Contract.
e. I know that I should not participate in any Scientology Religious Service if I have a physical or mental condition which might be aggravated or which might make my participation in the service uncomfortable or distressful to me, and I agree to accept and assume any and all known or unknown risks of injury. loss, or damage resulting from my choices and decisions in that regard."

The other day, a member of O.C.M.B. had expressed concerns that another incident like the Lisa McPherson incident could possibly happen.  As long as the following clause is in the contract, I regret to say that in my opinion, it is very likely:

"Scientology is unalterably opposed. as a matter of religious belief, to the practice of psychiatry. and espouses as a religious belief that the study of the mind and the healing of mentally caused ills should not be alienated from religion or condoned in nonreligious fields. I am in full agreement with this religious belief. I do not believe in or subscribe to psychiatric labels for individuals. It is my strongly held religious belief that all mental problems are spiritual in nature and that there is no such thing as a mentally incompetent person .. only those suffering  from spiritual upset of one kind or another dramatized by an individual. I reject all psychiatric labels and intend for this Contract to clearly memorialize my desire to be helped exclusively through religious, spiritual means and not through any form of psychiatric treatment. specifically including involuntary commitment based on so called lack of competence. Under no circumstances, at any time, do I wish to be denied my right to care from members of my religion to the exclusion of psychiatric care or psychiatric directed care, regardless of what any psychiatrist, medical person. designated member of the state or family member may assert supposedly on my behalf. If circumstances should ever arise in which government, medical, or psychiatric officials or personnel or family members or friends attempt to compel or coerce or commit me for psychiatric evaluation. treatment or hospitalization. I fully desire and fully expect that the Church or Scientologists will intercede on my behalf to oppose such efforts and/or extricate me from that predicament so my spiritual needs may be addressed in accordance with the tenets of the Scientology religion free from psychiatric intervention."

One shudders at the implications.  This means that even if you did come down with a "mental illness" and you family interceded to have you committed, Scientologists could come in and countermand that commitment and take you out of the hospital.

Scientology wants to make sure that you know that Scientology is in no way responsible for your spiritual progress.  It is all on you:

"This Contract memorializes my intention to participate in Scientology Religious Services only for purposes of self improvement and spiritual advancement. By signing this Contract, I recognize. acknowledge and agree that:
a. Achieving the benefits and goals of the Scientology religion requires my dedicated participation. because only through my own efforts can I achieve those benefits and goals."

So what if you have done services and paid for more and have decided that it hasn't worked for you and you want your money back?  They tell you that you can get a refund any time you want.  What they don't tell you is that they will make you jump through some improbable hoops to get your refund.  The contract says that they don't owe you anything:

"No Scientology church is under any duty or obligation whatsoever to return any portion of any religious donation I make."

Make sure that when you sign a contract with the Devil, you don't burn your fingers.  Know in advance what you are signing and don't let anyone pressure you into signing anything you don't fully understand.

Thank you so much for being here today.  Please come back next time for another episode.  As always your questions and comments are most welcomed.





2 comments:

  1. Yet another excellent post Robert! Thank you for tackling this angle head on, as it is one that most people seem to avoid because it's messy.

    More examples of those Religious Enrollment contracts can be found here, under the "MEMBERS: Church of Scientology, Members, Enrolling" heading:

    http://www.exposescientology.com/scientologycontracts.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. And thank you so much for the link.

      Delete